Convict grandpa gets 'tokoh' award

Convict grandpa gets 'tokoh' award

Kini Malaysia Convict grandpa gets 'tokoh' award.
TAPAH: From rapist to missionary; what an example of how prison life can transform an inmate.
The change did not go unnoticed and resulted in Tapah Prison authorities presenting the first Tokoh Maulidur Rasul award, commemorating the birthday of Prophet Muhammad, to a grandfather of six serving an eight-year sentence for rape.
The recipient, identified only as Tok Il from Kuala Kangsar, said that he had started to deepen his knowledge of Islam and the Quran since his incarceration in 2007.
"I am extremely grateful to be selected as the Tokoh Maulidur Rasul and I will take this precious award as an encouragement make myself a better person religiously," said the 60-year-old, who is also the prison's surau assistant.
He said he would spread his knowledge on the religion and do community service upon his release.
He was among 250 inmates selected to celebrate Maulidur Rasul at the seven-year-old prison.
Another inmate, 34-year-old factory operator Kasmi, remanded under Section 39B Dangerous Drugs Act which carries the death sentence upon conviction, said she wished she was at home with her three children.
"I have not seen them since my husband and I were detained in November.
"I only know that they are with my mother-in-law. I pray they are in good health and on the right path."
Meanwhile, Zah, 32, from Sungai Siput said that she had gained much knowledge and learnt many skills since arriving at the prison two years ago.
" I have learnt so much more about my religion which I will continue to practise," said the inmate, sentenced to 14 years for abetting her husband who is serving a 22-year jail term at the Sungai Buloh Prison for raping a minor.
"I pray that my children are getting enough religious guidance and studying hard so that they can have a better life."
The Tapah Prison currently houses 1,372 men and 80 women.

Click here to get the latest news on your mobile!
Kini Malaysia Convict grandpa gets 'tokoh' award
source: http://my.news.yahoo.com/convict-grandpa-gets-tokoh-award-090000355.html

0comments:

Post a Comment